Thursday 5 September 2013

Choosing company

I decided last night to get up and leave when I woke up. Some people start incredibly early, but I saw a familiar shape walk out the dorm door at 5:15am and so I get up. I leave at 5:45am and soon catch Donald so we walk through the city together hoping to find an open cafe. There isn't one so I press on till the half way point in today's walk, which I reach at 7:35am. Donald catches up as I stop about 40 minutes for breakfast while I wait for the sun to rise. It's a total of 23kms to Caldas de Reis. It feels a bit strange to have half the day done by breakfast. Some people leave this early every day but it is by far the earliest that I have walked. As I sit and have breakfast the sun rises. I have used a torch for most of the walk and the section just before the cafe was enclosed forest. I suspect that it would have been beautiful if it wasn't completely dark.  

I do the next half quickly and arrive at Caldas de Reis at 10:15am. I could easily do the next day's stage today as well but my desire to finish with the people I have travelled with is stronger than the call of the finish line.

The rest of day 25 is filled with walking around the town and enjoying the company.  

Today's photos:
1. The church at 6:50am.
2. Closing in on Santiago.
3. A little bit of Spanish suburbia.
4. Spanish churches are definitely different from Portuguese.
5. The old bridge by the albergue.
6. No chance to see how a Fosters compares with the Spanish product.
7. A shared Santiago cake. Delicious..
8. A warm spring washing station and now foot bath.


1 comment: