Friday 16 August 2013

A shorter walk

Today I only have 19.4kms to cover. I get off to an earlier start, 8am for breakfast. I can order the espresso in Portuguese before resorting to pointing for the ham and cheese pastry and orange juice. There's a lot more stops along the way today so I'm carrying less water, only 1.5 litres.  I've repositioned the pack so it's more on my shoulders and it feels better.

I have my first greeting of Bom Camino just after my third coke on my second stop at Carregado. Four cyclists glide by with Portuguese flags and shells. Cycling this way would be very enjoyable as it is so flat and the roads are mostly quiet. My next cola is in 4.6kms. Sometimes it really does pay to break a big task down into smaller goals.

I'm being passed by tractors carting huge loads of tomatoes in open bins. The smell as they pass is amazing. Eventually I walk pass the field where they are being machine harvested. I try a few ripe blackberries that are growing on the side of the road amongst some unkempt olive trees. I've been resisting the temptation since I first started seeing them yesterday but I figure that it is less likely that these have been sprayed. Given all the weeds growing on houses I doubt anyone is bothering with these on the roadside.

My planned lunch stop is closed for the next 11 days. At least the sugar from the 5 cokes is keeping me going strong. Maybe today is a good day for dinner. Only 4.7kms to go.

Gratitude time; a service station with a restaurant! A hamburger especial and a beer, sitting next to a fan. A perfect way to spend an hour out of the worst heat of the day, which is again over 30 degrees.  A service station with beer on tap and a 3 group coffee machine is a pleasant sight in the middle of an industrial area. Time for a bica.. now 3 more kms.


I arrive at my destination at 2:45. There is no one at the residential, so it's either try another or try the phone number. She doesn't speak English and I quickly learn the Portuguese phrase for 'I don't understand', which I use repeatedly. After a while she goes off to find an English speaking friend and I'm told that the key is on top of the grey box next to the door. I can let myself in and go into room 2, which I do. Mission accomplished!

A four hour nap and I'm ready for dinner. I have found some WiFi. I am glad my phone works as a phone but I have not been able to use the data I purchased. Thanks vodaphone Portugal..  Grilled chicken, chips and rice is a great way to end the day in Azambuja.  Tomorrow is another 30km day and I and yet to see the owner of this place. I am hoping that they appear early in the morning so I can get a good start.  Day three is done.


1 comment:

  1. Reminds L of beautiful tomatoes in Italy. You're going well! D&L

    ReplyDelete