Saturday 31 August 2013

The circus is in town

I decided last night to walk to my own pace today. I think it's going to be one of the learning experiences with more people around. It is very enjoyable to connect with others as I walk but it can make the day much harder in terms of walking. We need to cover 33.6kms to reach Ponte de Lima today. Everyone else that I have spoken with in the albergue is only doing half that. Carlos and I set out at 7am. We have developed a good walking routine and we both like to do the majority of the distance in the morning so we set out to get two thirds done by lunch.

As I have traveled north through Portugal a few things have changed. The term for an espresso that I have used since Lisbon is regarded with disdain here in the north. I found that out yesterday and it explains why I was starting to have trouble with a phrase that had been working so well for me. I can also hear that the greetings are pronounced differently here, I suppose it's my musical background but I can hear the accents even though I don't understand the words. The landscape is changing too. For some reason the regional differences seem more remarkable because I have walked through them.

A lesson learnt today: When an apple on the side of the road reminds you of a golf ball don't assume your waking pole will function as a golf club. This may have limited application for you, but keep it in mind just in case. I now have only one rubber pole cap.

The day's walking passes well. We slow down in the middle of the day and take a long break around lunch.

We arrive in Ponte de Lima at 6pm. It's a pretty town by a river with a number of historic buildings. There is a festival on today and the street is filled with a sideshow alley. The albergue is the biggest I've been to so far, with 60 beds in three rooms. It's nearly half full when we get there, I get bed number 28.

We meet a number of people and end up having dinner in a Spanish and English speaking group. I am trying to add some Spanish words to my vocabulary as we will be in Spain in a few days time. It's fun to try to say words that use sounds not made in English. Roncesvalles, a Spanish town on the camino Francis, is a killer.

Day 19 ends with a hostel curfew at 10pm.
For me that means bed, for the rest of the town it means the party is just warming up. I may try the ear plugs tonight.

Today's photos:
1. There's no bull fighting in this part of the country, perhaps I can see why.
2. A cork tree: beautiful and not a gum.
3. Walking past a fire. I put two out in Porto, but this one is a little beyond me.
4. Santiago, the saint, and a fire above the village.
5. Resting after 30kms. Someone to put the grapes in my mouth would have been perfect.
6. The bridge at Porte de Lima
7. The view of the town from the Albergue.


2 comments:

  1. It's good that you and Carlos agree on your walking schedule. It must have made a big difference to the whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we agree with DB, we have been wondering how it would work with so many walkers in convoy. You wish for No5! L&R PS Happy Father's Day the girls are enjoying X Factor for you!!!

    ReplyDelete