Friday 30 August 2013

Barcelos

The start today is slow. I walk with Carlos, a man from Luxembourg and a woman from Spain. After a long break for breakfast we start splitting up. The Spanish woman is on her second day and decides to shorten her walk and take it more slowly, so we say goodbye. We part with the man at São Pedro de Rates when he takes the coast route and we take the central. It's another hot day, 33 degrees. When we stop for lunch we decide to take the scenic detour which will make it a 30km day.

Just before lunch I have my first wildlife encounter. I discover a one metre snake two steps in front of me as it makes its way across the road.  I have no idea if it is venomous, but fortunately neither of us is interested in finding out.

Through the course of the day I manage to put a small blister on my heel, proving that the physical challenge of the camino is still a reality.

The scenic extra takes in a climb to the top of Monte Franqueira which is 295 metres high. The views are great, although the smoke haze shortens them considerably. I quite enjoy walking up hills now, far more than going down them.

We reach Barcelos around 6pm and have a look around the churches as we make our way towards the albergue. It's a donation based hostel and we get the last two beds. There are about 16 people here, with a couple more arriving later and taking up some floor space. After shower it's time for dinner. I had a pilgrims meal for lunch so I am not that hungry. It was a nice soup, some rustic bread and my second dish of bacalhau. Dinner ends up being toasted sandwiches, a cultural coup.

Day 18 ends with a birthday party for one of the pilgrims, originally from Russia. Most of the people we met today will walk a shorter stage tomorrow so it will be interesting to see who we meet next along the way.

Today's photos:
1. The monastery.
2. A tiled house.
3. Walking across an old bridge, definitely in rural Portugal.
4. Someone decided that the doll was to heavy to carry to Santiago?
5. The view from the top of today's optional extra hill climb.
6. The church at the top of the hill.
7. Barcelos.
8. A 14th century cross.


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes simple meals are best. You must be feeling confident if you're diverting up extra hills.

    ReplyDelete